Welcome to Rail Press Journal! You will find news, editorials, top 10 lists, and articles related to anything in the railroad industry!

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Ask Me Anything: Railroad Edition

How I got into trains? I can credit this to four things My great grand parents, Connellsville, Pennsylvania, watching conrail trains in Salem,  Ohio, and Youngstown  Sheet and Tube no. 301 aka the canfield fair train.

Favorite  Railroads? I'd  definitely  say four for sure Baltimore  and Ohio, Chessie System, Conrail, and Ferromex.

Favorite  paint scheme on a locomotive? I love the 8114 heritage  unit because  of the paint, however  that is ironically  one of four  heritage  units i have yet to catch.

Favorite  Place To Watch Trains? It's  hard to say one place as I have been to many. My top three would have to be North  East, Pennsylvania Rochester, New York and probably  Connellsville, Pennsylvania.

Worst day of railfanning  ever? A lot of my friends  know that I am not a fan of the Norfolk  Southern  Dash 9 widecab whatsoever, in fact some days I downright  hate the stupid things. Anyways  one day i was out railfanning  at Salem, Ohio and I had gotten 8 trains in 2 hours which seems pretty good right? Well, there was a problem  with that. EVERY  ENGINE  on EVERY  TRAIN was a Dash 9!!! No variety  whatsoever! I would take a day where i only got one train over this..

Best memory while railfanning? Probably  the weekend where I got The Wabash  heritage  unit, The central of georgia, Bessemer  and lake erie, Illinois  central, a millitary train, and probably  a ton of epicness I'm  forgetting  in those two days...  Berea Railthon 2013 was amazing  too.

Encounters  with police while railfanning?
Yeah every now and then there is an instance  where someone  will think I am suspicious and call me in. Typically  nothing  bad has happened  because  of this, never got a fine or asked to leave by them, in fact one of Salems police  officers will occasionally  watch trains with me and has gave me some train dvds for Christmas  before. So there is definitely no hard feelings by me or them.

Weirdest thing that has happened  to me while railfanning? I witnessed  a mama bear and two cubs cross the tracks in North Springfield, Pennsylvania  this year. Does that count?

Have you ever been in the cab of a locomotive  before? Yes a handful, Ive been in the cab of  the south shore commuter  trains in chicago twice, two different  alco rs3 locomotives , a GE 60 tonner, a couple of Youngstown and Southeastern  locomotives and a bunch of ones that don't  run.

How long have you been photographing trains for? I've  been at it for four years, a decision  I ultimately  regret as I wish I  was born with  a camera in my hands. I missed  a ton of cool stuff growing up.

GE or EMD Trains? How about Alco or Lima instead!

Least favorite  thing about the railroads? Cab signals  no question  as beneficial  as they are for railroaders it was mostly the death of variety, other than mega mergers

Thing you miss the most while railfanning? I'm  actually  sad they don't  run roadrailers on the fort wayne line any more.. I used to hate the things when I was young, but then i learned my line was one of two that had them... glad I got what I did.

Your typical railfan squad? I normally  hang out with my good friends  Roger Chamberlain, Lee Kemmer, Sam Zitello, and Enoch Hamilton. Occasionally  I'll  do it with Ben Craft or Brian szemon, but I'm  typically  down with doing it with just about  anybody.

Pick your poison Dash 9s for the rest of your life or no trains the rest of your life?
Probably  no trains, I'm  sure I can find something  else to do.

Favorite  steam  locomotive? Nickel  Plate Road 765 would probably  be the one! Although  I wish B & O  had an EM1 still..

Funniest  memory  while railfanning?
Probably  when my friend Ben cussed out some trespassers in Rochester, Pennsylvania.

How many rail museums have you visited? 13 so far.

What hot spots have you visited? Chesterton, Berea, Fostoria, Altoona, Cresson, Rochester (Pennsylvania and New York), Elkhart, Conneaut, Alliance, Bellevue, Connellsville, North East, Erie, Toledo, Buffalo, Philadelphia, and Willard

Favorite  short line? Youngstown  and Southeastern  for sure.

Favorite  rail museum? Either Mad River and NKP or Lake Shore  Railway Museum.

If you could go back to one decade to railfan and you got to take your camera with you  what decade would you choose? The 1950s you get literally  the best of everything then. 1990s would be a close second.

Favorite Railroader? Either my Great Grandfather  or Chris Ratini.

Sketchiest spot you railfanned at? Youngstown  or Philadelphia...

Advice  for younger railfans? Don't  wear the vest, please just don't wear it. You'll  thank yourself later.

No comments:

Post a Comment