Welcome to Rail Press Journal! You will find news, editorials, top 10 lists, and articles related to anything in the railroad industry!

Monday, December 26, 2016

Bernie Baker: Q & A Session With The Man Behind Streamliners 2016


Bernie Baker is the man who was responsible for Streamliners 2016 which occurred this year in Australia.  He has been working with streamliner locomotives for decades and has a passion for them like how car guys are with Mustangs and Camaros. RPJ had the wonderful opportunity to have an interview with him about his work with streamliner locomotives, his background and some plans for the future!

RPJ:
So what drove you to create the streamliners event?

Bernie:
I Love the design and with so many of them still in service Down Under in various paint schemes it was a case of I had better do something before all the high tech shit sees them out the door. The company I work for have seven on the books.

RPJ:
How hard was it to coordinate everything to make it all happen?

Bernie:
It was not that bad as I have a pretty good network of contacts in the industry and that made it easier.

RPJ:
So you can say you had a lot of experience with these streamliners?

Bernie:
I started on the job in 82 and they have been a staple diet through my career.
We were all EMD until 1984 when through working started from interstate. That meant I worked the ALCO's as well.  So, I'm hooked with Streamliners in the blood.

RPJ: Now what's your opinion of American streamliners?

Bernie:
They're Gods! Without them and Dick Dillworth we wouldn't have them. With what the Poms had on offer thank goodness we swayed towards US technology and engineering.

RPJ:
If you had to pick a favorite streamliner from an operating perspective. What is your favorite?

Bernie:
An original B class with a 16-567B or BC. Many of the B's that are left have C blocks in them and they just don't sound the same.

RPJ:
So would you consider yourself  a railfan or more as a railroader?

Bernie:
Both. I googled Idiot Railfan. I'm a few things on the list, but not 10 of them. Being a railfan railroader means I'm in the box seat. The job must come first. Having said that I'm fortunate the company I work for roster me whenever possible to work the Streamliners, especially the one they named after me - B61.

RPJ:
That's amazing that they named one after you! How did that all happen?

Bernie:
I had just returned from the States in 2014. Two weeks later I had two heart attacks. It was while I was recovering they surprised me with the naming. They said they named it because of my dedication and input into preserving and recoding Australia's railway history and being a dedicated employee.

RPJ:
So what was your thoughts on the North Carolina Transportation Museum's 2014 Streamliners event?

Bernie:
If not for the social aspect of it, I would have been out of there in a couple of hours. It was lacking things to keep me there. This is why I had loco and horn sound off's and of course the fireworks.

RPJ:
So was your intent for your event to make it more attractive to those from outside the railroad world?

Bernie:
No it was to make it more attractive to those inside the RR world and to make it an event to remember. Mission accomplished!

RPJ:
Do you plan on running another event like this (Streamliners) in the future?

Bernie:
In 2018, but it will be a New South Wales Railways weekend, past and present. Fireworks included and at the same roundhouse.





No comments:

Post a Comment